Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hopelessness..

I feel hopeless and helpless... i cant help her with her turkish lessons homework anymore... and i just discovered that due to language barrier... i dont understand her maths homework as well!! Gosh!! This is really depressing!!!

Yesterday, nuray hanım told me that she did her math homework (the ğrevious day) all wrong... i should have checked her homework.. but how can i? Even though my turkish is not so bad.. but for formal education like this... it is just beyond me... her dad is also normally working somewhere... he cant help there...my only home is her class teacher...Nuray hanım...

Looking at this positively... my hatice will have to be independent in her learning. She has to understand and know it all herself....

Negatively however... i am reminded of myself... of when i was young..i soooooooo wanted to ask my parents to help me with my homework... my dad was always awayanyway for months since he was a custom marine....he was never at home... i remember once i even tried to ask my dad a simple question just simply because i wanted him to deal with my homework for once even......of an english homework in which i knew the answer ... he said...*i dont understand...go ask ur sister*... i didnt of course since i knew the answer...

in Hatice's case..i am seeing a repeat of my past...whichever homework which will require an understanding of turkish as the core language..i cant help her anymore... the rest... yes..i can.. english?? i'll welcome her with an open arm!! heheheeh..

Her class teacher is aware of this problem... I feel guilty to add more burden to her already heavy responsibilities.. but i have no choice.. Being the dedicated teacher that she is..i know that Nuray hanım will not let hatice down... she will help whenever she possibly can....and in Allah we trust that my daughter will be fine to be whatever she wishes to be in the future... All i can do is pray...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Language barrier can surely discourage learning but above this, you should credit yourself (Simah) as you've helped your children to reach to this point of their education level. What would they do without you? :) You even taught them the Istiklal Marsi :) Bravo. I am a Malaysian just like you. My beloved is Turkish too. And goodness, Turkce is not easy at all :D I don't know how ever you managed conversing in Turkce at all! Sigh. It's time I join pre-school in Turkey.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Jz
**
THanks dear... :0) i am trying my best though now language is our biggest barrier...i am just very lucky that my daughter and son have good teachers to back them up :0)

if i am not imposing.. where do u live? how did u meet ur hubby? do u have kids? email me?
refcobass@rocketmail.com

turkish is actually not difficult..it is really easy... u can learn the language within a few months actually if u want to...

i never bothered to learn the language.. never wanted to..it just comes naturally to me as i interact with the people here... still.. my level is quite low... i am sure u can learn it better if u put ur heart to it :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home